Thursday, December 31, 2009

Self-Injury: A Growing Teen Epidemic

Self-injury is a problem that's sweeping our nation, and the world. People do it in all different ways. The most common are cutting, burning, biting, and picking at scabs so injuries don't heal. I myself have succumbed to this epidemic, and I tend to cut or bite myself. There are times when I even think of going all the way with injury and mutilation, but I never follow through with it. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, and OCD when I was 12, and I've been on pills for it since then. Even the smallest insult, embarassment, or rejection has the potential to push me over the edge. Normally, those alone can't do it, but when added to all the other stress and emotions of life, it can become unbearable. When people see my scars, they automatically label me as emo or goth, sometimes even freak. Rejection always hurts, but to someone with bipolar depression, it's unbearable. That's when I get the urge to self-injure. There are many ways, but I prefer cutting and biting. The biting is only visible temporarily until the blood recedes, but the cutting leaves scars for life. It's a way of dealing with emotional pain by creating physical pain to distract myself. It's also a form of self-punishment. I'm working with people to stop, and my friends check my arms every week.

No comments: