Saturday, August 22, 2009

What I Listen to is My Own Decision!!!

God, I'm sick of people assuming they can judge me by my taste in music! I was at the Grove in Hollywood today, and I was checking out Marilyn Manson music. A person was looking at music next to me, and commented on my selection. He said, "Aren't you a little young to be listening to that type of music? It's a little too adult for you." I turned around and said, "Excuse me, but I happen to be 17. I'll be 18 in April. I know the backstory about how he derived his stage name. I happen know a lot about both the actual Charles Manson as well as Marilyn Manson! I have two older brothers, and they listen to his music also, as well as my younger brother, who's 16. So no, I'm not too young to be listening to his music." He sneered at me, and said, "Fine. I just don't like how his music is corrupting the youth of America. I just hope you don't turn out to be another Hitler or Mussolini, or worse, another Charles Manson." I was angry, and I'm sure that it was showing. I said through clenched teeth, "I may be of Italian and German descent, but that doesn't mean that every person who is from that culture will be a mini dictator. I actually happen to be extremely anti-Nazi and not at all Fascist. If I was a future Family member, would I have read Helter Skelter cover to cover, and be horrified by his philosophy? I think not. In fact, neither any of my brothers nor I will be corrupted by his music. He just has amazing rhythms, great guitar riffs, and incredibly strong vocals. Yes, his music may have questionable messages to certain people, but my brothers and I are all musicians. We listen to it not only for the words and messages, but for the musical aspects of it. And what we listen to is up to us. Our parents don't try to intervene because they know that we're old enough to make our own decisions. I just wish that people weren't so narrow-minded that they only see the historical reference in his name and his messages." I turned and walked away, leaving him standing there, mouth agape. I walked out of music, picked up a copy of Marilyn Manson's autobiography, and bought it. As I walked out, he was still floored in the same spot, and people were looking at him with confusion. Later, when I told my brothers about the conversation, they were so proud of me for not only standing up for myself and them, but also for what I believe in. I think that people should have the choice to listen to any type of music they want, no matter what references could be made.

No comments: